Posted by: Bonnie Phelps | May 18, 2017

Wamolynn Cabin For Sale

A little red cabin in the woods is for sale.  Recently I sold the cabin below it named, “Woodlynn”.  The seller, Alicelynn Cockrill said her folks built this red cabin so sent these wonderful photos and some of the history from 67 + years ago.  It is ready for a new owner now so it can be yours for many years of happy memories to come!   Click to see the cabin ready for you now and keep reading for the history from Alicelynn:

FullSizeRender   FullSizeRender (2)

Brief history of “Wamolynn” cabin on Palomar, by Alicelynn Cockrill   

The name is a combination of my folks names and mine:  My dad was Walter and my mom was Mollie Ekberg.   So you put the WA, then the MO, and then LYNN, from my name.   My mom’s invention!

They bought the lot from the Rauch family (who owned what is now Bob Rambeau’s cabin nearby).     We had been camping at Lake Henshaw one summer and drove up the mountain to attend the issuing of the new postage stamp in honor of the observatory.   Also wanted to get out of the heat of the Henshaw area for a day!     Somehow as we were walking around Bailey’ s we met Mr. and Mrs. Rauch and they invited us to sit on their porch for some lemonade.   That was the beginning of a long friendship. Clarence Rauch and my dad hit it off!  Mr. Rauch had built many of the rock fireplaces in the cabins around there, and later helped erect the chimney on Wamolynn.

I think the actual cabin was started in 1948, and my folks took a little travel trailer up there for us to stay in on the weekends when we worked on the cabin.  My folks would go up there almost every weekend to work. It was a 3 ½ hour drive from where we lived in a suburb of L.A.  No freeways in those days.  Then in the summer my dad would devote his vacation time to working on the cabin.   He had a brother and two good friends that would go up with us to work, especially when the slab floor was poured and had to be “smoothed” in a certain time.   In those days we would rent the Adams cabin (the one now owned by Jennifer Palm) for a weekend for sleeping quarters for the friends.  My mom would fix meals in the trailer.   Boy, she was a trooper!!

After my folks bought the lots the land had to be leveled and then sit through a winter so it would compact.

My dad and the other men put up the framing, did the plumbing, then closed it in with the siding.    After that the inside drywall was added.   There was no electricity yet on the mountain but my dad put wiring inside the walls so that when it did come up he could “hook up” to it.    I don’t remember what year the power finally came on.

The little shed was also built so that we had more storage space and even a shower was put in one end of it so that we could take a shower before the bathroom was finished.  That is me up on the ladder with my dad. What fun times we had.

All this took place from about 1948 to 1955 or so.   Some materials were hard to get after the war ended, even up until 1950, so dad had to scrounge and get used materials at times.

Of course like all cabins it was an on-going project through the years.     The cedar paneling in the living room is from trees grown right on the mountain.  For a while Wog had a mill for cutting trees and making lumber.  Dad bought lumber from him to do his paneling. The winter of 1950-51 was a cold one with much more snow than usual:

The front porch was enclosed after the cabin was finished, and a few years later dad closed in the porch to make it a room.  He always wished he had made the porch area wider so that more sleeping could be handled there.    A number of years later, like perhaps in the mid 60’s, dad built the downstairs bedroom on the end of the cabin.  Sometimes the loft bedroom would get pretty warm for sleeping in the summer so the downstairs bedroom was very comfortable.    The fireplace has what they called a “heatalator” in it so it really puts out the heat, and the loft would get toasty warm in the winter.

The little garage with a deck above was added in the 70’s when my dad and Wog got the idea that a garage would be needed to store the jeep that dad left up there.   He bought an Army jeep after the end of the war, fixed it up, and stored it there for safety and security.   We all had fun driving it around the mountain and into French Valley.   It was bumpy but fun to ride in!

There is a cedar tree just in front of the kitchen door, near the driveway that comes down.   My dad got it in French Valley and brought it home in a coffee can – did it ever grow!   The last I checked it was really tall.  This photo shows my folks, Mollie and Walt Ekbert gathering rock in the French Valley:


This is the little Army jeep that was stored in the equally small garage.  See the observatory in the distance?

FullSizeRender (4)

In the 1970s we bought the cabin below, named Woodlynn.  It was great to have family gatherings as we had the two cabins close enough that our kinfolk could go back and forth between the two, for meals and/or sleeping.     My mom passed away in 1981 so we had almost ten years of using the two cabins together.   Then Dad continued to use it  until he passed away in 1991.

I said this was going to be brief …………………not true! 

Thanks for letting me reminisce!

Alicelynn Cockrill


  1. Thanks for the great mountain history. I hope you find a buyer to breathe new life into your old cabin and carry on the memories.


    • Thank you Jim. I love the history. Alicelynn mounted the photos on paper and hand-wrote little comments. We’ll have it at the cabin for showings then leave for the new buyer. Thinking I should do a little more of this! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: